Training Day: 27th May 2023
Are you studying a Level 3 (or equivalent) of a Counselling or Psychotherapy Diploma
Authorised by your training institution to start your placement hours?
A member of a registered governing body?
Want to develop skills and knowledge to support women survivors of abuse?
Join our trainee placement programme and acquire specialised knowledge to support women aged 16 and over recovering from the trauma of childhood sexual abuse.
Trainee Placement with Quetzal
Quetzal has a robust trainee package set up, specifically for students studying counselling and psychotherapy. Working with survivors of childhood sexual abuse comes with its own challenges, however our specialist training, free in-house supervision, and continuous support from the Clinical Lead makes this a safe, interesting and an extremely rewarding placement.
If you want to make a difference and support the end of violence against women and girls, we want to hear from you!
Please note the trainee placement requires a commitment of one year and you need to be able to support a minimum of two clients.
Due to the nature of our services, it is an occupational requirement under the Equality Act 2010, Part 1, and Schedule 9 that the trainee placements are available to women only.
How it all works
What do you need?
- You are studying a Level 4 (or equivalent) of a Counselling or Psychotherapy Diploma
- have been authorised by your training institution to start your placement hours
- Are registered as a member of BACP or an equivalent governing body
- Are able to travel to Quetzal Offices in Leicester City Centre to deliver complete placement hours, attend trainings, and attend monthly group supervision (there is free parking provided for volunteers)
- Can invest in the Carolyn Springs Hope for Healing Online Training (£35), to set the foundation for the training we provide
- Can source your own external supervisor
- Have a good/working knowledge of the issues with abuse. Including issues in safeguarding, mental health issues, stigma, and the ability to work empathetically with people
- You are someone who is organised, dedicated, reliable, and communicates well in a professional setting. Confident using Microsoft Office, and have experience using Skype
Benefits to you
- Experience working with women with compounded and complex trauma, and obtaining insight, skills and knowledge with the key issues affecting women dealing with the impacts of non-recent abuse
- Free monthly supervision
- Robust development of counselling skills, and expertise in counselling women
- Invaluable experience towards your counselling career. Referrals can be provided after successful volunteering with Quetzal
Our Commitment to you
- Specialist in-house training on how to work with survivors of childhood sexual abuse and CPD trainings, support, and experience with an organisation who are the forerunners in Leicestershire and Rutland of providing long-term counselling to women dealing with the impacts of non-recent abuse
- Relevant risk assessment, safeguarding training and the information you need in order to be able to work with your clients in an ethical and safe way
- Learn to use and work with monitoring systems so you can see the progress your client is making on a weekly basis
- Access to free trauma informed CPD training and workshops throughout the year
- Free in-house supervision
- A supportive environment to flourish with our Clinical Lead, qualified and experienced counsellors as well as four other supervisors available throughout the week. There will always be an opportunity to debrief before or after your sessions if you need it
- The assurance that you will complete all your placement hours without the need to find another placement. Quetzal have a steady stream of client referrals and assessments
- With our counselling appointments available from 9:00 – 20:00, you can work according to your availability and convenience